Renters Please Beware!
I realize that everyone loves a good deal but you need to be realistic about those “deals”. The internet while being a wonderful tool for researching things, finding your next home, job, vehicle or whatever. You have got to exercise some common sense. If it sounds too good to be true, do some more research!! It probably is too good to be true. I am sorry to say that there have been several scams involving rental properties. The thing that you need to be aware of is that most property owners that are out of the country are not managing their property from where ever they are! So here are the main clues that you need to watch out for and avoid.
- If the owner wants what seems like a “cheap amount of rent”, be careful!!
- If the owner instructs you to send them money and they will send you keys, be careful!!
- If the owner wants you to fill out a rental application, be very careful!!
- If they tell you they are in another country, be careful!!
- If they have no way for you to actually walk through the property, be careful!!
Local Property Managers are where you need to be looking, any reputable real estate office is the safest way to find a good rental. As well as using a licensed REALTOR for any real estate needs. Dealing with “an out of country owner” is not an ideal situation and more than likely it’s a SCAM!!
When searching for homes in the Camp Lejeune, New River Air Station, Jacksonville, Onslow County area please click here to search all active listings.
Ellen Hough, Jacksonville NC Real Estate , specializing in First time home buyers and sellers. Working with EXIT Independence Realty, 910-330-6103 (Cell)